Thursday, December 3, 2009

I use a Dell workstation at the studio (at work), and I went from wanting to kick it daily to now really counting on it. I have always liked Dell workstations, but moreso the mobile ones, save for their heft. But I do have to declare my love for HP deskside workstations cause they have always kicked ass in studios. I mean these things take a beating and still can be elegant. But their laptops, well not as much of a fan. Although I really like their portability, they seem rather exposed to peril. I like their size and shape a lot, but they feel a bit less sturdy than I'd like, and their performance has not been as rock solid as I've seen from the Dells. There is the m2400 I'm really interested in seeing, it's 14" screen and form-factor makes for great mobility. I had a short look at last years SIGGRAPH, the last one in LA. It felt really easy to carry, and yet pretty sturdy. Having grown tremendously to loving the m70 and then relying hugely on the m90 to get me through a mobile day, I wonder how the m2400 would fare. Now let's talk about a notebook I would very much like, and that's the 13" MacBook Pro, running Windows7. Yeah, ok, be upset with me. Fine, find me out and gun me down. But I am thrilled that Windows is now on Macs. Brilliant. Workstation wise, I have yet to be convinced, as I don't think that is a market they are going for. Wait, before you send me horrible thoughts, by "workstation" I in particular mean a workstation that can handle the 3D's. Show me a 15" with a Quadro option, and we'll talk. As far as their towers, I think they're beautiful machines, but I'm a fan of Frankenstein. I enjoy the hunt and the build and the work in maintaining a home built rig. Economic as well as fun, if you like this sort of pain. It's a challenge I love to slowly destroy myself with, but it's at least all mine. I don't feel I'd get that from a Mac tower. Perhaps at work, where I'm more inclined to just want stuff to work right, at home, I prefer to have the fun of parting it together and making it run.

No comments:

Post a Comment